Ruins of the St. Michael's Church, Balatonfüred
The archaeological findings in the area indicate that Balatonfüred and its surroundings have already been populated during the Ancient Roman period. In the Middle Ages, seven smaller settlement made up the area (Magyaré, Arács, Kék, Füred, Papsoka, Siske and Szentkirályparragja). Period documents mention Arács in 1118 and only a century later Siske and Füred. From these settlements, only Arács and Füred survived the Ottoman Wars, and they were merged in 1954. The name of Papsoka (pap meaning 'priest') refers to the owner of the settlement, the abbey of Tihany, whose servants lived here. In 1221, when Papsoka was still larger than Füred, the St. Michael's Church stood in Papsoka - the ruins of which can be seen today in the Old Catholic Cemetery.
During the excavations, it was found that the 12th century church was built on top of a burned down Roman villa and it's bricks were used for the construction. The Romanesque style church was later rebuilt and expanded many times, for example in the 13th century an ossuary, also known as a bone house was added.
The church was destroyed probably during the fights with the Ottoman armies in the 1540's and its bricks were used for building the neighboring houses.
Near the ruins is the grave of József Keöd, the last captain of the first Hungarian steamboat line, the Kisfaludy.