Vaszary Palace Gallery, Balatonfüred
Archbishop Kolos Vaszary spent his holidays for many years in Balatonfüred. He was an abbot of Pannonhalma when commissioned the renovation of the bath owned by the abbey and in 1892, after becoming Archbishop of Esztergom and owner of the property, he built his eclectic style, steepled summer house, the Vaszary Palace designed by Győző Cziegler. Following his death, the property was sold, and by the second half of the 1920's it was used as a summer house for the army. The western wing of the palace was built in 1927. Until the end of World War II, it was owned by the Hungarian Army but from the 1950's it became a property of the Soviet army until the change of regime.
The palace was fully renovated by 2010, and since then it has been used as an exhibition space, opening with a representative collection of the works of painter János Vaszary. Housing mostly fine arts exhibitions, the building became one of the most significant - and arguably the most beautiful - buildings of the city.
The palace houses not only a gallery but a space for artists, the Vaszary Bookshop and the Vaszary Cafe. It is worth to take a stroll in the park, we can get a nice view of the building from there.
The Vaszary Palace holds entertainment for the children as well, as there are thematic museum workshops for children from the age of 6.
From the summer of 2015, the Austrian Biedermeier paintings of the Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest will we exhibited in the gallery until the museum is being renovated.