The Airfield of Budaörs
Despite its name the airfield of Budaörs is not in Budaörs but belongs to District 11. The airfield with a more than 80 years’ history is rather just an attraction for fans of aviation today.
There used to be three airfields in Újbuda. One of them, in Albertfalva, was the testing ground for the biggest airplane factory of Hungary during WW1 where floatplanes were also manufactured by Austrian design.
The Danube was ideal for testing these planes. Later in the 1920s a floatplane station opened at St Gellért Square serving flights to and from Wien and Lake Balaton operated by Aeroexpress Plc. The company offered air taxi, pleasure flight and postal services as well.
The Budapest-Wien flight had to face strong competition by train service being more comfortable and faster under bad weather conditions as for lack of proper navigation planes were forced to function as boats in foggy circumstances travelling on the river.
Despite the modern design of planes the enterprise went bankrupt after an initial success. The factory and the airfield were closed in 1924. However, by the end of the 1920s aviation has developed rapidly and Budapest was an ideal location for refueling for flights to and from the Balkan and Turkey, or further. Consequently, the establishment of a new airfield was decided and a former grazing land was chosen on the edge of the city.
The wetland was drained and construction began in 1935. The modern terminal building was opened by the recognized pilot István Horthy in 1937. A year later it became the most important training center for the reorganized Hungarian Military Air Force. It also hosted Miklós Horthy National Air Shows.
Due to adverse weather conditions and lack of further space for expansion a new site was chosen. The new airport was built in 1939 in Ferihegy (today known as Liszt Ferenc Airport). However, the airport was badly damaged during WW2 so the airfield in Budaörs temporarily regained its key role. By 1950 restoration of Ferihegy Airport was finished and later on the Airfield of Budaörs was used only in agricultural aviation. Since the turn of the century it has primarily served sport aviation.
The terminal building gained a listed status in 2000.It is also home to the only operable Li-2 passenger plane in Hungary attracting fans of aviation.
The green New Buda: biking along the brooks The bike tour discovers the greenest parts of the district 11 along Keserű Brook and Hosszúréti Brook including the airfield in Budaörs and the former site of Kánai Church. This is an easy trip with very little elevation gain and inspiring attractions.