Riverbank of Újbuda
The current cityscape of Budapest is the outcome of river management works that began at the end of the 19th century. Lágymányos area used to be a wetland when Buda and Pest were united in 1873 and the site of the Technical university buildings used to belong to the river bed.
The width of Danube at Gellért Hill is nearly 300 meters. As for the Budapest section the river has a stream gradient of 8 cms/kilometer in Budapest with a velocity of 2-9 kms/hour and an average flow rate of 2,000 m3/s.
River engineering measures were inevitable to prevent floods of great damage. To achieve optimal results a comprehensive planning process started in 1823 to map every characteristic of the river affecting effectiveness, such as data on depth, velocity, stream gradient, river stages, icing and sediment features, etc.
The most important element of river management in the New Buda area was the construction of Kopaszi Levee. The water-covered area that the levee separated from the river was filled with earth from constructions in the capital at the end of the 19th century. By the 1910s this process had created the site for Palatine József Technical University today called Budapesti Technical University, while in 1930 filling the southern part of Lágymányos Lake or as today called Lágymányos Bay began.
To leverage the popularity of Gellért Spa a floatplane station was built on the riverbank at St Gellért Square in the 1920s. A monumental plaque placed on the parapet next to Liberty Bridge commemorates the flight service operating between 1923 and 1926.
The levee stretches more than 700 meters long into the river like a peninsula. Its wetland vegetation has changed by today as buildings and parks were established there. However, it is still a habitat for a rich native wildlife with black and white poplars, 3 protected fish species and water birds.
Close to Liberty Bridge at the foot of Gellért Hill a rock formation called Rock of Distress appears at very low river levels, in times of draughts, as its name suggests. It was last seen in September, 2015 (previously in 2011 and 2003).
Near Savoya Park shopping area an open-air diner and club called Dunaparty Megálló awaits guests on bank of the river. The red double decker functioning as the counter is only one of the many specialties. A great place for adults and children, too, with live music at weekends. Biker and pet friendly place, accessible by car also.
Further information at: www.dunapartymegallo.hu
Wonders of Albertfalva: riverbank and suburban streets Besides discovering the river bank in Albertfalva you will get to less-known spots of the area, such as the Blue Pond in Kelenvölgy, the park of Arany Dániel Square in Albertfalva. The route leads along shady roads and quiet streets making it a favourable choice even on a hot and sunny day.