Petőfi Bridge is one of the bridges over the Danube connecting the university campuses in Buda with the southern end of Nagykörút (Grand Boulevard).
Petőfi Bridge known as Horthy Miklós Bridge until 1945 was built by the design of Pál Álgyay Hubert from 1933 to 1937. The bridge connects the southern end of the boulevards of Buda and Pest. It spans nearly 380 meters and including its approach roads it reaches over 510 meters with a width of 25 meters.
The bridge structure is made up by four deck trusses of various heights that are the highest above the piers. The deck trusses are of special design that required a lower quantity of steel thereby making it a cost-efficient solution. The barriers are attached to the decks with a 3.5 meters wide sidewalk on both sides.
Although the construction of a new bridge here was planned in 1908 these ambitions remained unfulfilled due to WW1. It was only in 1930 when this question rose again and construction could begin next year. After building the foundations geotechnical works were completed from 1933 to 1935.
In 1933 the construction of the steel structure started. Assembly work could begin in 1935 and it finished next year. This was the first time that reinforced concrete caissons were used in Hungary for building a bridge.
The bridge was opened in September, 1937. However, it was demolished by retreating German troops during WW2. Reconstruction began only in 1950 and finished two years later. Then the bridge was renamed and has borne the name of poet Sándor Petőfi since then. Between 1966 and 1970 an extensive maintenance took place including repairs of the steel construction, the change of tram rails and a complete repaint.
10 years later the (1979-80) the deck was renovated. The track structure was remodeled and by eliminating the biking lanes the track was widened. A middle platform underpass was built to access tram stops on the bridge and Boráros Square on the Pest side was also completely remodeled to facilitate mixed-mode public transport.
The latest major refurbishment took place in 1996 when stuck bearings caused structural issues and they were replaced by spherical bearings.
Universities and parks on the two sides of the Danube The bike trip from the university campus to Kopaszi levee lets you discover the riverbanks crossing the Danube twice. Riding along the river you will a beautiful spa, a university building that dominates the riverside, significant cultural spots and probably the most popular park of the city.