Kána was a village in the Middle Ages in the area of today’s Újbuda. Ruins were discovered when construction works of Újbuda-Tóváros Residential Area began in the early-2000s and was later excavated. Ruins of nearly 200 pit-houses, 248 fireplaces, a cemetery with nearly 1100 graves, trenches and a stone church were discovered. After excavation remnants of Kána were buried during construction works except the site of the church. The memorial site is open to visitors free of charge without guidance.
Among excavated villages from the early Middle Ages Kána is the largest, contiguous remnant village. The village was likely to be founded in the mid-12th century and reach its height in the next century. It is believed to have been owned by Margrave Apa from 1148 to 1158. The settlement survived the raid of the Tatars in the mid-13th century. Its name is known from a description dated 1325 specifying Kána as a neighbor to another village (Nevegy). Documents show traces of the village even from the early-15th century, however, no information is available when and why, finally, inhabitants left the village. Traces of war destruction, fire or other devastation were not discovered.
The church of the village was built in two phases. The first building was constructed in the second half of 12th century. Around the turn of 13th century it was extended. The church gained a listed status in 2004, and a wall was partially restored.
A few meters from the church lies Kána Pond formed by damming Hosszúréti Brook.
Kána Pond The fishing pond on the border of District 11 and 22 is calm and peaceful despite its location next to the Balaton Street. The pond formed by damming Hosszúréti Brook offers various species of fish to anglers and a park for recreation.
1077 graves were discovered in the cemetery of Kána surrounding the church on 2-3 vertical levels. This is the ancient cemetery with the most graves encased with stone panels in Hungary. Graves from 12-13th century presented poorer archeological finds with coins and bronze accessories.
There was an abbey next to the village. The Abbey of Kána was just a church in the 11th century that was first transformed into a burial place for the noble family then into a Benedictine Abbey sometime in the 13-14th century.
The abbey was remodeled more times, however, it was devastated in fire at the end of 15th century. Although it was rebuilt residents left it for good during the Turkish rule. Its ruins were found in 1889 but it was misidentified as remnants of St Szabina Abbey and it was identified only 100 years later on the basis of written documents. Excavations discovered coins, ceramic and iron dishes and tools, glass objects and stone carvings.
By the 2000s, the ruins of the abbey on a hill remote from inhabited areas had been overgrown by plants and covered with illegally dumped debris. The site has been cleaned more times but with short-lived success.
The green New Buda: biking along the brooks The bike tour discovers the greenest parts of the district 11 along Keserű Brook and Hosszúréti Brook including the airfield in Budaörs and the former site of Kánai Church. This is an easy trip with very little elevation gain and inspiring attractions.