funiQ logo


The city located in the Tiszántúl region, near to Debrecen, is one of the most popular spas of the Great Hungarian Plain.


The Hajdúszoboszló bath complex includes the spa, the open-air bath and the aqua park. The spa offers 3 indoors and 4 outdoors baths to the visitor. The water is beneficial for many illnesses, it is usually recommended for musculoskeletal, gynecologic and digestive problems. Many complementary therapies are available for example mud treatment and massage. The open-air bath, open from May to late September, has 13 pools and offers many sports facilities as well. Also, the biggest indoors pool, the „Mediterranean beach” can be found here. The 6000 m2 large pool has a pirate ship, a lighthouse and palms to make the atmosphere more special. The aquapark, built in 2000, offers relaxation for the whole family. It has 9 slides which are 1 km long altogether. Such slides as the kamikaze, the black hole and the giant slide can be tried out.

The Bell House at St. Stephan Square is the home of 48 special aluminium bells. Every bells has its unique sound and theme. Some of them summons moments in Hungarian history (Saint Stephan Bell) while others have a universal meaning to tell like the World Bell. 

On the main square is the World War II Memorial and the statue of István Bocskai, an important figure in the city’s history.

The Reformed Church, built originally in Gothic style in the 15th century, was remodeled in Baroque style between 1711 and 1717 and expanded with Classical and Copf Style parts during the centuries. The Classical interior includes such relics as the Seat of Moses, the cover of the pulpit with symbols of the city, and the bread plate with the coat of arms of Bocskai from 1693. Around the building is the fortress wall which belonged to the original church. In front of the church is the World War I Memorial.

The Baroque Catholic Church  was dedicated to Saint Ladislaus. The murals of the church depict the deeds of Saint Elizabeth.

In Bocskai Street, next to Heroes Square, is the museum complex of the city. The István Bocksai Museum has an exhibition on the history of Hajdúszoboszló, the visitor can see the famous Bocskai Flag. Also found here is the Museum Gallery showing the works of graphic artist Gusztáv Cseh and László Miskolcz, a painter born in Hajdúszboszló. In the museum’s garden, the visitor can see an exhibition on the history of agriculture. The International Modern Museum, founded by artist Joseph Kadar, showcases 20th century and contemporary artworks.

The Potter House was the black ceramics workshop of István Fazekas and now houses an ever expanding collection on folk art. 


The city was known early as Szoboszló, its name coming from the slavic „Sobieslaw”. The region was already inhabited in 3000 BC, proven by the archaeological findings from the Stone and Copper Ages. In the Migration Age, many tribes, Huns, Avars, Goths have settled or travelled through here. Because of the suitable landscape, it is assumed that the arriving Hungarian conquering tribes have also spent time here.

Szoboszló’s first written mention comes from a document in which Géza I. gave half of the incoming taxes of Szoboszló to the Garamszentbenedek Abbey.

In the 14th century, it was the property of the Debreczeni family who also owned Debrecen. Amongst its later owners are János Hunyadi, János Szapolyai and István Dobó.

In 1552, the Ottoman armies ravaged the city, most of the population had to flee. At the end of the century, the Crimean Tatars almost completely destroyed the city.

The ruined city was given by István Bocskai in 1606 to the hajdús who settled here. Due to this is the word Hajdú in the name of the city. After Bocskai’s War of Independence the hajdús participated in many conflicts for example in the campaigns of Bethlen and the Rákóczis. In 1660, as a revenge for the hajdús’ support of George II Rákóczi, the Ottoman armies attacked the city again, burning it to the ground and executing many of the people. After this, the Szoboszló was deserted for 3 years. Later it became a significant hajdú settlement again. In 1705 the some parts of the city were burned down again, this time by Habsburg armies as a response to the hajdús’ participation in Rákóczi’s War of Independence.

Later Hajdúszoboszló was filled with life again – in 1711, they rebuilt the church destroyed by the Ottomans.

In the 19th century, the industry started developing rapidly with federations being founded but it was still a typical agricultural town. 

In 1925, during a drill for natural gas, 73 °C thermal water was found which completely changed the status of the city. After the growing popularity of the thermal water a smaller bath was established in 1927 and in 1928, the spa was opened. In 1931, a second water source was dug and the spa was expanded. Until the 1940’s it was continuously expanded and due to the great renovation in 1960 it became the biggest spa in the country.