The village is located in the Great Plain region of Northern Hungary, 2 kilometers from Hortobágy National Park.
The history of Berekfürdő began with the discovery of the medicinal water. In the 1920’s during a drill for hydrogen carbonate the thermal water erupted from below. The first temporary bath was built in 1929 and after the thermal water became increasingly popular, the permanent bath was built.
In 1930, because of the finding of another spring, larger pools were built. The village began to develop rapidly, the plots were sold, villas and hotels were constructed.
In the 1960’s, the bathing complex was renovated, new pools and a park was built, resulting in its current outlook
After the water was classified as medicinal, in 1979, the spa was built.
There are thermal baths, medicinal and swimming pools in the bathing complex, and the visitor can also enjoy many complementing health care services. The alkali-hydrogen carbonate, iodine, bromine content of the water is an effective help for musculoskeletal, rheumatic, circulatory, gynecological and nervous problems. (It is not recommended in case of, for example, heart diseases.) The stage of the spa entertains the visitors with concerts and events.
A sight of the village is the bust of Ferenc Deák by Lajos Győrfi, erected on the 200th anniversary of his birth. Also by the artist is the Fata Morgana Well located at the entrance of the spa and the relief of Zsigmond Móricz. The wooden totem in the Jubilee Memorial Park honors the traditions of the Kuns.
The exhibition The Secrets of the Soviet Airport shows the history of the Soviet airport in the village through documents and items of the time. Amongst the exhibited weapons there is even an imitation nuclear bomb.